Layout

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Stepmother






Be honest...when you hear the word stepmother what comes to your mind??

Why is it that stepmom is a bad word..why does it always have the word wicked, or evil in front of it? I was thinking about this today while my stepdaughter was watching a show on Disney..and there she was..the mean evil wicked stepmother. She wasn't pretty, she had an awful laugh, and she was mean. It's no wonder that women whose ex husbands remarry go up in arms and are ready for the fight of their life!



As many of you already know I am a stepmother to Peyton who just turned 9. I don't think I am wretched, have a crooked nose, or an evil laugh. I treat her as if she is my own daughter..even by making her scrub the kitchen floor..not on her knees people..I let her use the swiffer! All kidding aside I wish Disney would make a movie where the stepmother is a good person. A story about a woman that took on a relationship with a man and his child(ren). A movie that shows the sacrifice that a woman makes when takes the vow to love her husband and his children. I am a friend, mentor, confidant, and mother. I maintain a relationship with the woman that was married to my husband before I was, keep the peace, and respect her wishes. Sometimes it seems as if she controls some aspects of my home. I wonder if anyone who is not in that situation has really stepped back and thought about how that feels. I maintain this relationship because of the angel face with strategically placed freckles that calls me Christy. The one who hugs me with every ounce of her skeletal will when she sees me.

I was lucky enough growing up to have an amazing woman in my life. She married my father when she was 29 years old. She went from being single to marrying a man that had 2 young daughters and had an instant family. I hope I can be half the woman, mother, and stepmom that she is to me.



So...everyone grab your pen and paper and start writing. Write a letter to Disney and tell them you know this fabulous red head that could play in the starring role as the Fabulous, fancy, fun loving stepmother. I could definitely use the money and all of the glitz and glamour that comes with it.

All my love,

Christy Yamagata
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I am not in your situation but have told you (and the other stepmoms I know) how amazing I think you are. I dont know if I could be as loving, forgiving and selfless as that title requires you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a beautiful post, christy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stepmom taught you well christy. Love your posts, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete